Gifts of gifts of privately held securities can provide considerable benefit to Berkeley.
How it works
- You give shares of closely held stock to Berkeley.
- We liquidate the shares at an appropriate time and use the proceeds to support the campus programs that are important to you.
How you benefit
- You receive an income tax charitable deduction for the appraised value of the shares, even if you obtained the shares at low or no cost, provided you have owned the stock for more than one year.
- Avoid capital gains tax on the appreciation in value.
- You may be able to use closely held stock to fund a life income gift, such as a charitable remainder trust.
- Join other entrepreneurs planning for their continuing legacy with a donation of closely held stock.
How to give